News to Know
Take a virtual tour of a Waste Management recycling facility.
The Toolkit is a comprehensive resource that provides all schools the tools to tackle the issue of wasted food. It identifies the main sources of wasted food in schools and, using the EPA Food Recovery Hierarchy as a framework, offers strategies for:
- Measuring food waste
- Preventing food waste
- Food recovery and redistribution
- Composting food scraps
- Education and engagement
- Communicating and celebrating success.
On April 16, the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County's Recycling and Education Director Mary Allen joined John Williams to distinguish between a number of items that can and can’t be recycled.
It’s not as simple as John and listeners think!
Click HERE to listen.
(Elif Geris/WGN Radio)
The U.S. EPA recently released their Strategic Plan for sustainable materials management.
This Plan highlights the following EPA objectives:
1. Decrease disposal rate.
2. Reduce environmental impacts of materials.
3. Increase socio-economic benefits.
4. Increase capacity of State and Local governments, communities and key stakeholders to adopt and implement SMM policies, practices and incentives.
The Plan covers a 5 year period from 2017-2022 and serves as an approach by the EPA to address using and reusing materials resulting in environmental improvements. The Plan address three strategic priorities and discuss the associated activities to develop positive results.
You can read the complete summary here.