The Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) is an intergovernmental agency that was established in 1988 to facilitate the delivery of effective, competitive, and environmentally sound collection, transportation, transfer, processing, treatment, storage, disposal, recovery, and reuse of municipal waste for its members.
SWANCC serves 23 member communities with a focus on reducing the volume and toxicity of solid waste through responsible waste reduction solutions and providing environmentally sound transfer and disposal of waste that is not diverted from disposal. SWANCC meets these objectives by:
- Facilitating delivery of comprehensive solid waste management services, including supporting member communities’ waste collection contracting, and transfer and disposal of member waste through the Agency-owned Glenview Transfer Station
- Planning and implementing material management strategies and programs
- Deploying education and resource materials
- Sponsoring collections for special materials that cannot go into the curbside recycling cart and should not go into the garbage due to toxicity or recoverability, such as electronics, sharps and medications, fluorescent light bulbs, batteries, and mercury-containing devices
- Supporting document destruction events hosted by member communities for secure shredding and recycling of sensitive documents
Only residents who live in a SWANCC member community are eligible to participate in the Agency’s programs.